Salary: Circa £50k + circa 10% bonus + excellent pension
Closing date: 17 January 2018 at midnight
Working pattern: Permanent
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Do you have expert knowledge of Windows Server Operating Systems and Citrix? Are you looking for an opportunity where you can see your input make a real difference as a key contributor to the company’s IT delivery?
About the role:
It’s an exciting time to join us at the Phoenix Group. Following recent strategic acquisitions, it leads us to grow our successful in-house IT team with talented professionals, committed to delivering the highest level of service. We have an excellent opportunity for a Systems Engineer (Microsoft) to work on a large-scale acquisition ownership of the IT estate and a 5 year technology refresh. This is a varied role; you will be supported in owning your area of technical expertise and provide technical advice and guidance to the other teams within the IT department. This will involve a good mix of independent working and collaboration with other teams and stakeholders across the business to achieve desired outcomes. Most of our business users are based in the same building, so much of our interaction are direct and face-to-face. Occasional travel to other UK offices will be required.
You will initially be involved in a large and complex integration project, which will then lead into providing third line operational and user support covering incident, project, and problem resolution across all areas of IT Server and Storage Systems. As the business continues to develop, there will be further interesting and exciting opportunities to develop your career.
Operationally, there will also be a requirement to support the release and deployment of new or amended application software, patching, monitoring general system performance, and capacity monitoring and disaster recovery. There will be incident management of major incidents and communication of technical issues to a non-technical audience.
Other responsibilities include:
- Provide third line support for a Windows-based desktop and servers operating system, running in Citrix XenDesktop and Hyper–V platforms respectively.
- Provide technical support for projects
- Administration and support of our Windows Server Infrastructure.
- Ability to troubleshoot and find resolutions to complex technical problems across multiple tiers (web servers, application servers, database servers, backend services, load balancers, storage infrastructure, etc) where required.
- Script creation, maintenance and editing – including PowerShell.
- Documentation of technical solutions.
- End to end ownership of all Incident / Change / Service requests through to closure within the Service Desk tool.
- Assess, prioritise and manage workload
- Provide 24x7 on call support as per rota
What we’re looking for:
- A proactive self-starter who likes to own their professional area of expertise. This will suit someone who can work well both independently and as part of a wider IT team structure.
- Experience of working for a large complex organisation. We are a regulated FTSE 250 company, and with an organisation this size there can be plenty of complexities and challenges to consider, both within the business and with our external partners and outsourcers.
- Expert knowledge of Windows Server Operating Systems
- Expert knowledge of Citrix - (including XenDesktop, Web Interface, Provisioning Server)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Lync
- Knowledge of application and server virtualisation technologies and components, including Microsoft Hyper-V and Microsoft App-v
- Knowledge of Storage Platforms including NetApp SAN, and of the associated backup technologies (Backup Exec and NetBackup)
- Familiarity with HP and IBM hardware platforms
- PowerShell scripting
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) qualification would be desirable.
About the company:
We value our employees highly and have been Britain's Top Employer for the last six consecutive years and are a member of the FTSE 250 index. We put people first in everything we do and are always looking for new professionals to join our talented team. Our funds are closed, enabling us to focus on areas that other businesses can't. This means that, among the many benefits of working at Phoenix (such as free lunches at our onsite restaurant, nature trail walk, putting green, free car parking, subsidised onsite sport facilities including gym, football & cricket pitches, tennis courts, excellent rewards schemes….we could go on!), our staff can enjoy exposure to a diverse workload not found elsewhere. We're proud of what we do, and we've recently gained recognition for our distinctive business model. We offer excellent training opportunities, career development and company culture.
Apply for this job
If you have applied for a job or registered with us before, please login
If you are a new applicant, go straight to the application by clicking Apply Online below. This will automatically create an account for you.
Flexible working at Phoenix is: "A lifestyle that fuses your personal and professional life."
Phoenix believes in a culture of flexibility, depending on the role we may be able to offer working arrangements that suit your needs. In today's world of work / life challenges we recognise getting this right is important to our employees and the success of our business.
Examples of this may include but are not exclusive to the following:
Part Time: You would work less than full-time hours for the business, perhaps by working fewer days or hours per week.
Flexible hours: Still working your contracted hours, you would have flexibility to start and finish within agreed core working times.
Job Share: Where the role allows you would voluntarily share the duties of one full-time position with another colleague, splitting the hours on a pro-rata basis.
Home working: You would undertake some, or all, of your working duties from home or anywhere else other than the standard allocated place of work (including other Phoenix locations).