Salary: Circa £55,000 + 10% bonus + excellent benefits
Closing date: 24 May 2018 at midnight
Working pattern: Permanent
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Are you a qualified or a part-qualified Management Accountant, with managerial experience? Are you looking for an opportunity within a progressive reporting environment in a FTSE 250?
About The Role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Fund Accountant in our Fund Accounting team. You will be joining an experienced and successful function within our Life business who are integral to the accuracy of the Oracle General Ledger and inputs to the reporting process. This involves oversight of the financial activities of outsourcers, reconciliation & controls over data, finalisation of trial balance & analytical review packs, administration of internal reassurance arrangements and controls over unit linked business. The team is proactive with managing financial relationships with our outsourcers, covering accounting, incidents and change activity within the function.
Reporting to the Fund Accounting Manager, you will be responsible for maintaining the integrity & accuracy of the General Ledger for a number of allocated life funds. This will involve you working closely with our outsourcers and reconciling numbers and accounting controls. You will be managing a team of up to 8 experienced Fund Accountants and Analysts, driving their development, performance and workload. We will need you to continue to lead them by example, demonstrate proactive behaviour and achieve deliverables collaboratively in a lean environment.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing the production for each allocated fund an accurate & complete trial balance for handover to the Financial Reporting team in preparation for reporting periods.
- Overseeing the team in covering bank & suspense reconciliation work
- Providing monthly performance reporting that meets the requirements of the product company service level agreements/reporting packs
We are looking for
- An experienced Accountant from a large complex organisation. We are a regulated FTSE 250 company, and with an organisation this size there can be plenty of complexities and challenges to consider, both within the business and with our external partners and outsourcers.
- Either part or fully qualified Accountant (ACA / CIMA / ACCA / AAT)
- Effective people management & development experience. We have a great team in place, so we want someone who will enjoy seeing them at their best and all the different ways to help them get there.
- Good understanding of interpreting data, which will be essential for the review of GL adjustments, forecasting, establishing root causes & report assessments
- Ability to address effectively. As part of our reconciliation work, it means we sometimes need to have difficult conversations with various stakeholders of all levels.
- Excellent communication skills. With the exposure to a wide variety of stakeholders you will need to be able to articulate in a self-assured manner through written communications or face to face.
- It would be desirable if you have experience of working with third parties or outsourcers in delivery
- Experience of a proactive approach to reporting lifecycles, and the ability to identify & recommend process improvement would also be desirable.
About the company:
We value our employees highly and have been Britain's Top Employer for the last 6 consecutive years and are a member of the FTSE 250 index. We put people first in everything we do and are always looking for new professionals to join our talented team. Our funds are closed, enabling us to focus on areas that other businesses can't. This means that, among the many benefits of working at Phoenix (such as free lunches at our onsite restaurant, nature trail walk, putting green, free car parking, subsidised onsite sport facilities including gym, football & cricket pitches, tennis courts, excellent rewards schemes….we could go on!), our staff can enjoy exposure to a diverse workload not found elsewhere. We're proud of what we do, and we've recently gained recognition for our distinctive business model. We offer excellent training opportunities, career development and company culture.
Please note, the role profile will refer to this as a Senior Fund Accountant. This is our internal role title for the same vacancy. Senior Management Accountant is being used for advertising purpose only.
Apply for this job
If you have applied for a job or registered with us before, please login
If you are a new applicant, go straight to the application by clicking Apply Online below. This will automatically create an account for you.
Flexible working at Phoenix is: "A lifestyle that fuses your personal and professional life."
Phoenix believes in a culture of flexibility, depending on the role we may be able to offer working arrangements that suit your needs. In today's world of work / life challenges we recognise getting this right is important to our employees and the success of our business.
Examples of this may include but are not exclusive to the following:
Part Time: You would work less than full-time hours for the business, perhaps by working fewer days or hours per week.
Flexible hours: Still working your contracted hours, you would have flexibility to start and finish within agreed core working times.
Job Share: Where the role allows you would voluntarily share the duties of one full-time position with another colleague, splitting the hours on a pro-rata basis.
Home working: You would undertake some, or all, of your working duties from home or anywhere else other than the standard allocated place of work (including other Phoenix locations).